Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Wireless Adventure - Part II (Blacklisting Orinoco)

More poking around the internets. Lucking I found this.

To quote:
The problem is that the hostap and orinoco kernel modules are competing for control of the card. This is mentioned as a likely problem on NetworkManager site:
(http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware)

hostap: "Supports unencrypted, WEP, WPA, and WPA2 networks. Be aware that if you have both this driver and the 'orinoco' driver installed, they may fight for control of the wireless card and render it inoperable to NetworkManager. You should either disable one of these drivers, or ensure that only one driver is able to control the card."


Thank you, Brett!

To summarize the instructions:
1. Check to make sure I'm dealing with the right network card: I entered the following command in bash:

:~ lspci | grep Network
I got:
02:02.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)

HA! It matched. Yes! Next, for adding some blacklisting marks to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:

blacklist orinoco
blacklist orinoco_pci
blacklist hermes
blacklist p80211
blacklist prism2_pci

Last step, reboot!

Completing this process took less than two minutes (even less time than it took me to install WICD), and it was relatively straightforward.

I still don't know if it will work yet. I have to go home and see. But I have my fingers crossed! Results later. Hopefully, this should do it!

No comments: