Friday, October 12, 2007

Getting Ready...

I'm currently in NJ, getting ready for the Richard Tapia and Grace Hopper conferences that I will be attending all of next week. I'm starting to get pretty psyched, especially about the Grace Hopper Conference, since it's largest consortium of female computer scientists in the country (~2000 last year alone). I'll probably be taking pictures and blogging about my experience while I'm there.
Who is Grace Hopper, you ask? One of the first modern computer scientists, wrote the first compiler, and developed COBOL (which, despite what current people may think about COBOL, was quite a feat). On top of all that, she was a Rear Admiral in the Navy. I found a clip on Youtube of when she appeared on the David Letterman show back in 1986, 5 years before her death:

Grace Hopper on Letterman Show, 1986.



She was also known for her visualizations of nanoseconds and picoseconds (shown in video).

Anyways, enjoy.. I'm going to get back to other stuff...

'Til then.

-Suzanne

No comments: