Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ubuntu 7.10 - Gutsy Gibbon (VPN running)

Back in linux, I follow the link and download the file. After unzipping the tar.bz2 file, I cd in and run ./vpn_install. Magic happens. Next, to start the thing. In the future, I hopefully don't have to do this, since it should be done automatically:

sudo /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start

Ok, next, I need profiles. Before, when love was on the side of vpnc, I would have to enter the gateway info, and two passwords. This was doable, and ok. Now I need profiles. With a touch of chagrin, I realize that this probably the program that the help desk wanted me to run all along, though the tar file I downloaded was different. Going back to the RPI helpdesk site, I download the necessary .pcf files and put them in /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient/Profiles/

The following command is then used:
sudo vpnclient connect RPI_External_VPN

Magic happens: user names and passwords are entered, information is exchanged. Sparkles and rainbows shoot out of my terminal. And suddenly..!

Negotiating security policies.
Securing communication channel.

Your VPN connection is secure.


To check, I try to connect to my server. No problems! Hooray! VPN now works!

Ugh. It's been fun, I think. I haven't checked RPI Wireless yet, but something tells me it will work (before it didn't). So overall, a productive and good use of time.

I -am- hungry. Maybe food is in order? That's a good idea. Food, and a hot shower.

Till next time...
-Suzanne

2 comments:

rangr said...

Cool. Thanks for helping your RPI buddy out. Whom are you working with?

Suzanne said...

I was a graduate student in RPI CS till Spring 2008. Then I switched schools to pursue my PhD studies in CS elsewhere.

What about you?